Tuesday, March 12, 2013

WHAT IS GOOD ART?



     Good art, is there such thing? There sure is! Good Art to me is what a work can make me feel and if they did it in a successful way.  Art doesn't have to be perfect nor be realistic.  It can be a dot on a blank canvas or many painted scribbles over a huge canvas that may take a wall.  Maybe there is a journey of how they did the art and even though it may not be beautiful, it can be a strong piece.

     This is a self-portrait Picasso made and to me this is good art.  Even though it's not realistic I still feel and see a story behind this.  I question myself what is he looking at and why is he looking down? I feel as he is showing a more vulnerable side of himself through this painting.  A painting in which he shows he is still human even though he can paint original portraits.  This piece makes me feel as if there is a little bit of myself init and I want to know this story.  Picasso just paints a person but maybe he painted this person a certain way to see what we can make out of it and if it matches with what he thought.



WHAT IS BAD ART?



     Bad art! where do we all begin? Maybe we can't draw people, or draw that chair but we can for sure be creative.  I certainly don't believe in bad art but maybe we can name it weak art.  For example lets say those elementary drawings we drew in class that made us laugh in high school.  Even though they weren't drawn to perfection they still had an effect on people.  As well what about hotel art?  Most of the time we just walk right by it.  Does that mean that it's bad or is just weak?

     This piece is called "The Kill"   and it's in the MOMA!  This piece isn't bad but it's not strong I feel lost into this work and it's sort of like a labyrinth of red lines.  I'm trying to make a story but it doesn't feel as strong as I want it to but the more I look at it I feel something.  It takes a while but maybe if there was something more to offer I would feel a bit better.  I don't believe this is bad art because I don't believe in bad art, it's just not strong as the others but I feel a little interest into this piece.  If the artist wanted to make me feel lost into this painting then he sure did a good job but to me no art isn't bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment